The Bird Banter Podcast #125 with Nick Bayard of BirdNote Additional Info

On The Bird Banter Podcast #125 with Nick Bayard, executive director of BirdNote we talk a lot about the BirdNote organization, from its inception as the brainstorm and creation of Chris Peterson and the Seattle Audubon Society to its present day status as a widlely known and respected creative force for birds, birding and conservation through the Bird Note Daily podcast that is heard on 250 NPR ratio stations as well as its two longer form podcasts Threatened and Bring Birds Back.
You can find any of these podcasts on all of the commonly used podcast feeds.
You can also follow BirdNote on most social media venues including Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, You Tube and more.
I really only knew about BirdNote Daily by hearing it on NPR radio, and so assumed that it was primarily funded by NPR, to learn that it is a free-standing not-for-profit organization that gets >70% of its funding from individual donors and most of the rest from grants from foundations, so instead of paying for this through our tax dollars, supportive donors support the orgainzation and NPR is the beneficiary (along with all of us who listen and enjoy).
Nick Bayard, my guest on this episode has his own interesting story. He started birding along with his family while duck hunting as a child, and went on to take some ornighology courses as an undergraduate at Brown Universily. Later he served in the Peace Corps in Paraguay and birded there. I heard about Nick from his wife when we met while I was looking for Common Redpolls in Titlow Park in Tacoma and she told me about Nick and his work on Bird Note. A really nice happenstance as it led directly to this episode, and my learning a lot more about Bird Note.
I mention a podcast called Grouse on the episode. I believe that the 8-part podcast was produced with BirdNote in conjunction with Boise State Public Radio. You can hear it on most podcast feeds, or here.
Thanks for listening. Until next time, good birding and good day!