A Day in Casablanca to Recover

Eurasian Thick-knee

My trip to Morocco is off to a fine start, with new experiences and new species. The flight from Seatac the Seattle-Tacoma, WA airport to Charles DeGaulle Airport in Paris was long but uneventful. Delta did a good job of providing vegan meals for me, and we got in at about 8 AM after a 10 ½ hour flight “losing” 9 hours enroute due to time-zone changes. Bruce and I wandered around the airport and tried to rest until or flight to Casablanca left about 12:40, arriving about 2:50, going one time zone back. Customs was an endurance effort, with a 2+ hour cramped line with masses of people, and we saw the customs employees need to exercise great patience as angry parents shouted and pushed and shoved while a trio of young attractive women tried to cut in line, and we all inched our way forward.
After getting our luggage, getting a SIM card for our phones, and buying data and voice time we caught a cab to the Best Western Hotel Toubkal in downtown. We had dinner and managed to stay awake until maybe 8:45 PM and slept well in our twin beds until jet-lagged morning arrived about 3-4 AM and we waited for daylight. This AM we had a good breakfast at the hotel, and went to Par Sindbad near the coastline where a large overgrown abandoned parking lot and entertainment park recommended by Michael Carmody provided an introduction to common Moroccan birds.

A Glossy Ibis, the species of ibis seen in the eastern U.S. flew directly overhead.

Shortly after arriving a pair of Eurasian Thick-knees flew in, a species Bruce had seen in Lesvos, Greece but were a lifer for me. They were a very exotic shorebird to find on our own. We added about 28 more species not including another 2 or 3 left unidentified. Here are a few photos I like best.

Spottles Starlings *Sturnus unicolor* here are very similar in appearance and behavior to the European Starlings that were introduced to the U.S.
I love seeing different doves and pigeons, and this Eurasian Turtle Dove *Streptopelia turtur* was a lifer for me this morning.
Blackbirds *Turdus merula* are common species throughout Europe, as well as in Morocco, and this male and female gave a good comparison showing the sexual dimorphism.
We saw several Sardinian Warblers *Sylvia melanocephala* this morning.

Stay tuned for more Moroccan birding adventures over coming days. Good birding. Good day!