The Bird Banter Podcast Episode #17 Memorial Day Weekend Notes

Pigeon Guillemot on its nest. Most of the nests appeared to be deeper in burrows, and the sitting birds were not visible, but this one was in plain sight.

This weekend I visited Anderson Island with a new birding friend Marian, and we stubled upon two colonies of Pigeon Guillemots. These are our local breeding Alcid, a species that nests in burrows or cavities in sandy banks near salt water. Anderson Island is a heavily wooded island in the Puget Sound accessible by a short ferry ride from Steilacom, WA. It has lots of high sandy banks that seem perfect for PIGU to nest, and it was fun to see their colonies.

The sandy bank with the burrows looked like this.

Northern Rough-winges Swallows shared the sandy banks.