Why Birding- Notes on Episode #22

On of many hundreds of dolphins, whales, seals, sea lions and other marine mammals seen on the 5-day pelagic trip out of San Diego I discuss in the episode.

In episode #22 I address the question, “Why am I a birder?” I think it is a good question, and I try to give a coherent answer on the epidose. In this post I’ll leave some photos and additional information.
For me birding is a hobby, or passion, or obsession, it all depends on your point of view. In the episode I talk about some of the things I find alluring about being a birder. People are certainly a part of the attraction. I find most birders to be helpful, smart and fun to be around. When Ken and I go birding the conversation usually covers sports, politics, birds, and family, along with whatever else we are thinking about. Still, talk about birding often dominates.
A Lorquin’s Admiral. It’s hard not to see butterflies when I’m birding in warm places.

Places are another big attraction.
A breakfast spot on the northern edge of the Sahara Desers on a recent Morocco birding trip.

The only shade for lunch this day in Morocco.

Stumbling onto wonders not birds is also a part of the game.
Myrtle Falls on a walk yesterday out of Paradise, Mt. Rainier N.P.

This is a photo of a garbage dump in Morocco. We found lots of great birds there.

Let me know your stories of why you are a birder, what keeps you going out birding, and why birding and not another hobby.