More Photos and Info From the Alex Wang Episode #41

A photo from Alex, of the Akiapolaa’au, a critically endangered Hawaii Island endemic

The Bird Banter Podcast Episode $41 with Alex Wang will drop on Dec 6th, but since I’m leaving tonight for Chaing Mai, Thailand to visit Art Wang, my guest on Episode #14:

I’ve met Alex on a couple of Vashon Island Christmas Bird Counts and have birded with Art a number of times. Alex is really well informed about conservation issues in Hawaii, and is a top birder too, so makes for a fascinating guest.

Iiwi

He is just about to begin to lead one day trips on the Big Island of Hawaii with Birding Babe Eco Tours so you can book a day birding with Alex there.

I thought I’d use most of this post to show photos Alex let me use of many of the birds he mentions in the episode and some suggestions from Alex about where to go birding in Hawaii. This is a direct cut and paste from an e-mail from Alex.

Pueo,_Hawaii’s_short-eared_owl

Here is a good website for birding on the Big Island:

My favorite spots to bird on the Big Island are Lokowaka Pond, Puu Oo Trail, the Palila Discovery Trail, Aimakapa’a Pond and The Kealakehe Wastewater Treatment Plant.

Io,_the_Hawaiian_Hawk

For Maui:
If you can get access to Waikamoi Preserve that is your one stop shop for forest birds. Otherwise you can at least get the endemic Maui Alauahio at Hosmer’s Grove. Kanaha Pond and Kealia NWR are some of my favorite vagrant traps for shorebirds and waterfowl in the whole state.

Oahu:
Aiea Ridge Trail and Wiliwilinui Ridge for Oahu Elepaio. Honouliuli NWR is good for wetland birds and James Campbell NWR is probably the best.

One for you to figure out.

Akohekohe, a Maui endemic

Kauai:
For forest birds try Pihea Trail or for the more adventurous the Mohihi-Waiale trail. The Kawaiele Waterbird Sanctuary is good for wetland birds and the Kilauea Lighthouse is great for seabirds.
Palila