Lower Rio Grande Valley Trip Day 3, The Boys are Here

Fork-tailed Flycatcher.
I picked up Ken Brown and Bruce LaBar at the airport last night, and we got off this AM to try for the Fork-tailed Flycatcher at the same place I got it 2 days ago. This time it took longer, about 3.25 hours, but patience paid off, as Ken spotted it fly right over his head to the same wire I saw it on before. Lifer for both Ken and Bruce. No Groove-billed Ani despite good efforts. Lost of fun stuff to watch while we waited, Tropical Kingbird, Loggerhead Shrike, Laughing Gulls, LB Curlew, etc. etc.

Next off to Estero Llano Grande, where we spent the afternoon puzzling over flitting passerines, watching water birds, and generally getting acquainted with the area.

We finished strong visiting a private residence in McAllen, to see Ruth and Bert Wessling’s back yard sanctuary. It is incredible, with feeders, water elements, brambles for cover, and LOTS of birds. Ken and I quickly got a brief look at the Audubon’s Oriole, but Bruce, the only one of us who needed it for a lifer missed it. Not to fear we all got better looks a few minutes later. Lots of photo ops, comfortable back–porch chairs, and incredible hospitality for unknown vagrant birders who just showed up and got the dogs to bark enough that Ruth came to investigate, and graciously ushered us in to watch.
Long-billed Thrasher

We ended up at the Green Parakeet roost and Chipotle’s for dinner in McAllen.
A great day with Ken and Bruce each getting 2 ABA lifers.
Tomorrow off to Santa Ana NWR to hope for Hook-billed Kite.