The Bird Banter Podcast Episode #62 with Jean Pullen Additional Information

Jean at her Caribean Food Forest

On The Bird Banter Podcast Episode #62 with Jean Pullen we talk primarily about her passion for restorative agriculture. Other names for this type of food production are Permaculture, Food Forestry, and Agriforestry. Jean and her partner Alan are in the process of restoring a hectacre of previous pastureland into a self-sustaining agricultural forest, with multiple layers of habitat for birds and other animals, along with an abundance of food for themselves and to market.
Jean is also involved with other organizations that are working to improve farming in the tropics and elsewhere, to restore the land, improve the farmers lives, and provide uber-healthy food for their own consumption and as a revenue producing crop. See lots of additional information at Kiss the Ground, where you’ll find podcast, video and blog posts.
You can follow Jean at her Facebook page.

We talk about the relatively tiny 500 M2 property on the Caribbean coast of Costa Rica that Alan and Jean have converted from a small lawn into an incredibly abundant food-producing multi-layered forest in just a couple of years.

Jean resting from her agriforestry work.

I cannot wait to have the chance to spend time in Costa Rica with Jean, learning the birds there, of course visiting my daughter, and enjoying the insanely delicious fruit.
I also talk about the Scarlet-rumped Tanager seen in Jean’s garden. Here are some photos of the tanager and a few of the other birds I saw in her garden.

Social Flycatcher

The Clay-colored Thrush, the National Bird of Costa Rica I discuss in the introduction.

You can find my podcast episode with my son Brett at The Bird Banter Podcast Episode #42

Until next time.
Good birding. Good day!