Birding the Valley without my Birding Buddies

Ken and Bruce headed home after a great visit, and since then the pace of birding has definitely slowed, though I am getting out every day. Marian came down to visit arriving the evening after the boys left, but her visit was cut short by a family emergency, and she had to head home after just a couple of days.
She did manage to get out with me to Anzalduas County Park on the first AM after her arrival. We headed to the dam, hoping for the Rock Wren, with no luck. After a nice time birding the park, having lunch, and walking around we dropped back by the dam area. Marian asked me what the Rock Wren would look like, and I told her a small grayish-brown bird probably perched on one of the rocks. She looked up and asked, “Like that one?”, pointing to the highest rock nearest the dam. I looked, seeing a Rock Wren, and said, “Yes, exactly like that!” Tick. Texas live bird #299. What is going to be #300? My hope is either Northern Beardless Tyrannulet or Common Black Hawk, though Solitary Sandpiper is in the running. I really hope it is a vagrant ABA lifer!
Well, after the day at Anzalduas she got the call from her family, and we got her on an AM flight the next day.
That day, yesterday, I headed for S. Padre Island, where I scouted the area to see if it is worth a trip with the group, and enjoyed studying winter terns. It is amazing the differences in the many plumages of Forester’s Terns, some seem to have dark above outer wing tips, many very white like I’m used to at home.
Today John Heaney reached out and I joined him at Laguna Point in Willacy County, and added two trip birds to the list, American Pipit and later at the San Juan Wetlands, Indigo Bunting.
I continue to study Spanish as much as I can tolerate, though progress is painfully slow.
Me gusta ir a buscar los pájaros todos dias. Mi favorito pájaro en Texas esta mes es el Fork-tailed Flycatcher, pero el Falcón Aplomado es mucho buenos también.

Altamira Oriole