The Bird Banter Podcast #160 with John Oshlick Additional Information

On this episode John Oshlick and I talk about his birding story, birding in Connecticut, the American Flamingos blown north by Hurricaine Idalia. John is an avid birder, and his career as a physician hospitalist allows him to occasionally make short-notice chases to find rare birds like the American Flamingos that Hurricaine Idalia blew up from the Yucatan Peninsula.

I still have not seen an American Flamingo in the U.S. despite at least twice hiking the Snake Bight Trail in the Everglades to try for a distant look.
John also talks about birding on the Long Island Sound, and on the ferry from Connecticut to Long Island to try for seabirds in the state. Long Island and the Islands at the mouth of the sound prevent most real pelagic species from entering the sound often.
In my introduction I mention hoping to attend the New River Birding Festival sometime to visit West Virginia. This would also allow me to visit Maryland.
John also mentions Great Gull Island as a tern breeding colony, so here is a link to info about that spot.
Thanks for listening. Until next time, good birding and good day.