The Bird Banter Podcast #159 with Ken Ostermiller and Adam Jackson Additional Information

On this episode I talk with Ken Ostermiller and Adam Jackson, the creators of a cool website that lets birders know more about an eBird hotspot they want to visit. Have you ever used the Google Maps directions on eBird to visit a hotspot, only to find that the destination has no access to the hotspot, or when you get there you just don’t really know the best way to get around the site? If not, trust me, it will happen if you visit a few hotspots. Now you can just go to BirdingHotspots.org and get information about how to bird the spot. Where to park, which trails are best, what a local birder thinks is important information for a visiting birder.
Ken started this site years ago for his home state of Ohio, and with the web design and data base help of Adam they have made the site useful for birders in the U.S., Canada and hopefully in the future other places too.
This site is an open source, not-for-profit site and is crowdsourced. You can help with the crowdsourcing feature like this:

This is a screenshot of the Union Bay Natural Area near the Universitiy of Washington. It needs local knowledge. You can go there, click on the “Suggest Edit” icon, and fill in information in the various text boxes.

I have volunteered as an editor for the site for Washington. We certainly could use additional WA editors. Contact Ken if you’re interested. It’s easy and fun.
Ken and Adam also talk about their birding stories, as is usual for the podcast, and I hope you both enjoy the episode, make use of the website, and lend your local knowledge to visiting birders to your favorite sites by adding representative photos and details about how to bird the areas.
Thanks for listening. Good birding.