The Bird Banter Podcast #107 with David Waters Additional Info.

When I met David Waters at his home in 2014 with my wife Kay, we had a great time hearing his stories about crazy trips to China to get Great Bustard eggs from nests disturbed by agriculture, the waiting, the chases to collective farms to get the eggs, the negotiations and issues dealing with both Russian and English governmental agencies, and about dressing up in silly costumes to feed and care for the chicks. It was also fun to see the captive birds in his yard.
Talking with him on the podcast was a great chance to reminisce and catch up, as well as to learn about the project in a more intentional way.
Check out the Great Bustard Reintroduction Project page to find out lots more about these birds. They are large birds, with males as tall as 3’-5” and the heaviest recorded specimen is a male from Manchuria at 21kg, making it the heaviest flying bird in the world.
I saw Kori Bustards while visiting Kenya a few years ago as well as Buff-crested and Black-bellied Bustards. The Kori is also a very large bird.
If you get a chance visit the Salisbury Plain check out the Great Bustards there.
Until next time, good birding and good day!