The Bird Banter Podcast #156 with Scott Harris Additional Info.

On this episode Scott and I talk about his start in birding as an adult, his quest to see all of America’s lower-48 raptors, his writing career and more.
Find Scott’s book on Amazon or at his website.
I found Scott’s morph from a beginning birder later in life to a passionate raptor enthusiast pretty interesting. Scott is not one to go into a hobby casually. He has made the leap to birder with gusto. I would not have guessed that finding some of the winter visitor raptors to be the more difficult for him, as birds like Northern Hawk-Owl and Gyrfalcon create such buzz when found that the birding community usually knows where to find one. Goshawk, one of his other tough finds nests in enough areas that I’d have thought it would have been pinned down more quickly. The little owls, like Boreal and Flammulated Owls can be really tough, and it looks like he found local experts to help with them. Anyway, it was fun to hear about his quest and his new book.
His next project is to see many of the birding spectacles in the U.S. I’d love to hear what you’d list in the top 10 birding spectacles in the U.S. Here is a list of mine without great thought (The Ones in Bold I’ve seen, the others just heard about):

1. Platte River Sandhill Cranes
2. The Morning Flight at Cape May, N.J.
3. Spring Migration at Bear Divide, CA
4. A big flight of Broad-winged Hawks at Hawk Mountain, PA
5. The Snow Geese on Fir Island, WA
6. The Hummingbirds at the feeders in S.E. Arizona in late summer.
7. The Blackbird flocks at many places in the southern U.S. (e.g. on mornings in McAllen on the wires)
8. The huge flocks of Sooty Shearwaters and California Gulls off the Washington State coast in late-summer to early-fall.
9. Spring Migration at Magee Marsh (or other locations on a fallout day)
10. Shorebird Migration in spring at any of several staging areas, like Bowerman Basin, WA, or the Delaware Bay.

Leave comments with your to birding spectacles.

Good birding and Good Day!

One comment

Comments are closed.