The Bird Banter Podcast #158 with Molly Adams and Sydney Golden Anderson of the Feminist Bird Club

I’ve followed the story of the Feminist Bird Club off and on for several years online, and have been curious and interested in knowing more about the club and its story. Now, thanks to Molly and Sydney talking with me for the podcast, I know more and have greater respect and awe than ever. I did much of my early birding in New York, and some of it in Central Park. I can rememember standing by a row of trees just starting to grow their new spring leaves, and marveling not just at the several warblers hopping around in the treetops, but at the dozens of birders straining to see them. I was amazed that many of the apparently more experienced birders were identifying the birds by their songs and even chip notes, and just loved the whole experience. Spring in Central Park is pretty special. That was my experience as a young white male. I know that the experiences of others may have been different, and most of us have heard stories of birders of color being harrassed and worse in the park.
Molly started the Feminist Bird Club in 2016 after a non-welcoming experience in the park, and the club has had extraordinary growth and popularity since then. Listen to this episode to hear about the more inclusive and nuanced definition of feminist that Molly talks about. It’s not your 1960-1990’s “White Feminism” that I grew up with.
Molly and Sydney also have a new book out that you can buy online.

Visit the Feminist Bird Club of New York and Chicago and Seattle at these links.
Many are also on Instagram.
I talked about the site to learn details about birding at eBird hotspots. Find this at Birding Hotspots website. It works well on mobile devices. Please suggest edits with photos and tips for birding.
Thanks for listening, and until next time good birding and good day.